Monday, September 19, 2011

Switched to PyCharm

I was using WingIDE for the last 2 years and I loved it. It was and it still is a great Python IDE. Recently in the mailing list of WingIDE they were talking about how great PyCharm is and what is missing in WingIDE and where PyCharm fails.

Anyway I downloaded the trial version of PyCharm and started to use it. At the beginning I hate it. Basically it felt slow and there were couple of other things that I was very much used to use in WingIDE and they were missing in PyCharm (it was my mistake, they were all present but I need to search for them).

I didn't touch it for 2 weeks and then after what, I don't remember, I've opened it up again and started to read the quick tips. And I found that all the things that made me to switch back to WingIDE was there. And there were a lot more things which are enhanced and working properly in PyCharm and it supports more languages, has tons of options to customize the way it works etc. Somehow I felt that even the program feels slower, I'm coding faster. There are tons of shortcuts for TDD development, you need to watch this video.

There is a "Back to school office sale" where you can buy the personal version of PyCharm for $49 instead of $99. Which is very much reasonable when you think that I paid $230 for WingIDE ( $195 Wing IDE 3 + $35 to upgrade to WingIDE 4, but the latest price for WingIDE Pro 4 - Non Commercial is $95 which is in the same margin with PyCharm Personal without the discount.).

So I bought PyCharm and I'm very happy using it.

1 comment:

GuildWars2Items said...

The consequences of today are determined by the actions of the past scarlet blade gold. To change your future, alter your decisions today scarlet blade gold, Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards scarlet blade gold, but it takes character to keep you there.
The past is gone and static. Nothing we can do will change it Runescape Gold, The past is gone and static. Nothing we can do will change it Buy Runescape Gold Sale, Everything we do will affect it RS Gold.